FORT NELSON -- The Parker Lake Wildfire has grown significantly overnight, now measured at just over 8400 hectares, according to the latest information from the BC Wildfire Service.

In an update posted to social media, the BC Wildfire Service says the fire is expected to grow, and conditions in the area are 'still receptive' to wildfire.

Premier David Eby says no homes have been lost to the wildfire that threatens Fort Nelson or the neighbouring First Nation, and the weather over the next 24 hours will play a key role in the fight.

The premier says crews are doing all they can to protect people's properties, though the situation is very fluid."

Some personnel were relocated to the alternative Incident Command Post at Pink Mountain. Essential personnel, including command and operational staff, a contingent of BC Wildfire Service crews and structure protection personnel, remained on site, said the BCWS in a statement. 

They say the relocation was to protect the health and safety of responders and a strategic move to better position resources further south, but the crews have since returned to Fort Nelson. 

"We continue to work in conjunction with the Northern Rockies Fire Rescue and emergency services staff," said the BCWS.

Structure protection specialist and structural protection crews and units are stationed in Fort Nelson, according to Sharon Nickel with the Prince George Fire Centre.

"The protection piece for properties and homes obviously is paramount and we do look at that, but our first priority is and always will be the health and safety of first responders and the public," said Nickel. 

The Northern Rockies Regional Municipality has also established an Emergency Operations Centre in a remote location that is operational as of today. 

The Mayor of Fort Nelson says the fire is now within 1.5 kilometres from the town, but cooler weather and calmer winds are helping crews battle the blaze.

“So far the weather has been holding with us through respect to the winds and they haven’t been as strong as they were on Friday when they were up to 70kmh but you still get some gusting happening and you can see smoke behind me so the fire is burning down in The Valley,” said Rob Fraser.

Fraser adds hat the winds are moving south towards the river, and is sharing optimism that crews should be able to get a handle on the wildfire.

CJDC-TV has spoken to personnel on the ground who say first responders were able to dig in with heavy machinery to prevent the fire from breaching the town, and that bucketing operations continue to be conducted.

70 firefighters, 17 helicopters and air tankers were fighting the fire as of yesterday, according to the BC Wildfire Service.

Since an Evacuation Order was issued Friday, 4,700 people have left to muster points in Fort St. John, Dawson Creek, and Chetwynd where Emergency Operation Centres continue to support evacuees.

Residents are sharing their harrowing experience of having to flee their homes, many admitting they were not prepared to pack up and go.

“I went from sitting on my deck watching the fire, watching the aerial fight of the fire. to running around my house and grabbing -- I was that person that wasn't ready,” said Kim Eglinski, a Fort Nelson residents who is now in Fort St. John.

Wildfire Officials say they are staying in communication with those who have chosen to stay behind, checking in on them while also still urging them to leave while they still can.

Eight other holdover wildfires are currently burning out of control around the Fort Nelson area.

The BC Wildfire Service is set to provide an update on suppression efforts later this afternoon.

CJDC-TV will continue to update this story as new developments break.