DAWSON CREEK -- The Coroners Inquest looking into the death of Jaime Hope entered its third day today with testimony from medical professionals.

The 23-year-old died in hospital in Prince George after going into medical distress while in police custody in April of 2019.

During today’s proceedings, jurors heard from the medical practitioners who attended to Hope, a toxicologist, and the pathologist who performed her autopsy.

Dr. Cornelia Popa said Hope had suffered cardiac arrest before arriving to hospital in Prince George where she was stabilized but continued to suffer a high fever that never went down and an accelerated heart rate.

The opioid reversal drug naloxone was administered to Hope, but it was determined that the dose did little to combat the methamphetamine in her system.

After speaking to her father, the doctor said she declared Hope dead at 1:38 a.m. on April 14.

Hope's family will not be attending the inquiry, and have also declined to submit a statement on her death.

Forensic Toxicologist Graham Jones, who reviewed her case file, determined she had a high concentration of meth that caused ‘severe toxic effects’ to her system with the amount totalling 4.80 milligram per litre, according to the toxicology report.

The drug is believed to have seeped through a plastic bag that Hope concealed internally while being held in a Dawson Creek prison.

The bag and some scraps of the substance were found on the cell floor beside the mattress, according to the IIO report.

An autopsy performed by Dr. Jason Doyle found no containers or evidence of residue in her body cavity, and that nothing appeared wrong with her abdomen.

On Monday, civilian jail guards gave testimony that she was seen on video surveillance rubbing her stomach for much of her prison stay, but it did not raise any red flags or prompt further checks.

There was also an inclination that Hope might have been pregnant at the time of her death, Doyle confirming she was not.

The inquest is looking to determine the facts surrounding Hope’s death and make recommendations aimed at preventing deaths under similar circumstances.

The proceedings are taking place at the Dawson Creek Supreme Court over the next two weeks.

Tomorrow, the jury will hear from security specialist Adrian Wild and Staff Sergeant Rob Hughes.