A B.C. police watchdog is determining whether to pursue an investigation into last week’s horrific mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge.
The Independent Investigations Office is tasked with reviewing all police-involved incidents that result in death or serious harm, regardless of whether there’s an allegation of wrongdoing against law enforcement.
In a statement Tuesday, IIO chief civilian director Jessica Berglund confirmed the watchdog has “assigned investigators to assess evidence in order to determine whether our mandate is met” in relation to the shooting in the small northeastern community, which left nine people dead, including the lone suspect.
If that assessment finds no connection between the tragedy and the “action or inaction” of police, an investigation will not proceed, according to the IIO.
The watchdog did not provide any details on the focus of its early information gathering.
Questions remain about the guns used in the killing, and whether any of them are among the firearms that were previously seized by the RCMP from the suspect’s family home then later returned to their lawful owner.
“We appreciate the community and public’s patience while we ensure our initial work is conducted thoroughly, fairly, and independently,” Berglund said. “The IIO has a responsibility to avoid releasing any information that could prejudice any ongoing investigation.”
The chief civilian director also offered condolences to the families affected by the tragedy.
“We are immensely saddened by this profound loss,” she said.
