News

North Peace MLA criticizes province’s decision to delay Peace Villa expansion

The province is delaying construction of an expansion to the Peace Villa Residential Care Facility, first announced in June

The decision is part of the province’s budget tabled Tuesday, which includes tax increases, delays multiple health-care projects, and a record deficit of $13.3 billion.

The Fort St. John long-term care project is one of seven projects being delayed across BC.

“Government is adjusting the timing of delivery for several approved long-term care projects to incorporate the lessons learned from projects already underway,” the province said.

The province added: “With BC’s aging population, government is taking action to deliver beds more efficiently through a review of the long-term infrastructure program to achieve cost efficiencies while maintaining safe, high-quality care for seniors.”

Jordan Kealy, the MLA for Peace River North, says he is very frustrated with the decision.

He says Peace Villa has been full for a long time, contributing to Fort St. John Hospital being overcrowded.

Kealy says Fort St. John Hospital’s acute-care unit is currently operating over capacity by about 15 patients.

Last month, the president of the BC Nurses’ Union told CJDC-TV News that the lack of long-term care beds leads to patients remaining stuck in hospital while waiting to be placed at Peace Villa.

“Seniors have nowhere to go, and it will now be even harder for them to receive long-term care,” Kealy said, adding nurses are doubling up rooms meant for one patient.

The expansion is supposed to bring 84 new single beds and a 30-space adult day program.

Construction had been scheduled for the spring of 2027, and the facility was expected to be open by the end of 2030. No updated timeline was provided by the province.