The future of Tumbler Ridge Secondary School, at the centre of last week’s terrible mass shooting, is uncertain.
Eight days after six people were killed inside the school, five of them students, portable classrooms have arrived in the community.
On Friday, Premier David Eby said, “I will promise you that not one of you will ever be forced to go back to that school.”
Darryl Krakowka, mayor of Tumbler Ridge, says he is still waiting for School District 59 to present a plan on the future of the school.
He says the portables are a temporary solution, adding his biggest concern is ensuring the “big family of Tumbler Ridge” is taken care of.
“People are grieving at their own speed and you’re seeing around the community people getting together, hugging and talking,” Krakowka said.
The mayor says any decision regarding the school and its students should reflect what the community wants.
“Let’s listen to everybody involved, not jump to conclusions, and let these children tell us what they need. I’ll be behind them in everything they need,” Krakowka added.
The chair of School District 59 told CBC News it is too soon to talk about whether the school should be demolished.
The full interview with Mayor Darryl Krakowka is available above.