DAWSON CREEK -- A Dawson Creek family managed to escape to safety after their house went up in flames Thursday night.

It happened around 6pm after the side of the house on 84th Avenue caught fire due to a nearby BBQ.

When the Dawson Creek Fire Department arrived at the scene the north side of the house and the roof were fully engulfed in flames.

A mother, her 2 children and their family pets made it safely outside. No injuries to the family or fire fighters were reported.

17 fire fighters worked to knock down the fire that completely destroyed the home.

The Dawson Creek Fire Department is continuing their investigation looking into the blaze.

While fire fighters were rushing to the scene, a number of motorists showed up to look at the house burning. The vehicles blocked the fire engines from getting to the home.

Fire Chief Marcel Capelle is asking residents to stay away from active fire scenes and to make sure they don’t block the road when fire engines are nearby.

With the warm temperatures upon us, Chief Capelle is also reminding residents to keep BBQ’s away from the side of your home to prevent fires. He also says tokeep flammable materials a safe distance away from any open flames.